Thursday, October 8, 2009

the market

Day 75.
Makola Market in Accra must be one of the largest in Ghana. It is a maze of stands, stalls, and so many people selling everything imaginable: flags, fabric, flip-flops, fan yogo, frying pans, fish, fruit …and those are just the things that begin with “f”. It is easy to get lost in the labyrinth and asking for directions usually just ends you up in the same place. Following someone is the only way to actually get to where you need to go. Winding through tro-tro stations, vegetable markets, clothes stalls, seamstress booths, and endless masses of people, who are all there doing the very same thing. The aromas are sometimes overwhelming; a combination of the best and worst scents possible (though worst takes the cake). Surrounded by vendors saying, “buy something from me!” “what do you want?” “America, I love you” “What is your name?” “Obruni, obruni, obruni”. Most just want to say hi and maybe touch your arm, others are aggressive but usually easy to handle but just walking away intently. Some just laugh. It is easy to get frustrated with all the attention but I have to keep in mind that I will never fit in here and sometimes I have to laugh at myself too. Despite the layer of dirt I was covered in and the exhaustion I felt after four hours of this, I left Makolaadfs with a smile…really looking forward to a nice cold bucket shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment