Thursday, October 1, 2009

little things

Day 68.

There are strange, small, unidentified bugs that live on the walls in the shower, along with camouflage geckos.

On the walk to my 7:30 class, there is an elderly man with one tooth who always asks me to share my breakfast with him. I do.

There is a new vegan (!) stand at the Night Market, owned by a vegan woman. I have yet to explore its options.

The library is my favorite building on campus, especially because everything in it is at least 20 years old and dusty.

The “Healing Jesus Crusade” is coming to campus on October 9-10. The flyer boasts the words “Miracle Power!” and Evangelist dag Heward-Mills holding up multiple pairs of crutches. The flyer also notes that there will be a “Jesus March” on October 3.

Uncle Ben, the head porter in Volta Hall calls Carmen and me “Lucycar” when we are together (For the record Uncle B, as we nick named him after he gave us ours, must be the most jovial man I have ever met. Always a smile on his face ready to make conversation and laugh, he makes Volta Hall that much more amazing...Oh, and he rides a metallic gold bicycle, a little precariously, but none the less he is rad).

Found out that I have to keep my January 15th flight home because the first two weeks of the new year are booked, but I am going to call every week hoping for cancellations.

Finally got our passports back today after the month it took to extend our visas. Mine still expires before I leave so I have to go through the whole process again.

I have a small crush on 70-year old Professor Emeritus (in the botany department) Ebenezer Laing.

Lucas, the night guard for our block in Volta Hall like bananas so sometimes I surprise him with a bunch.

Baobab trees (Adansonia digitata) are my favorite so far -- photosynthetic bark near the base and stegosaurus spikes.

I miss you.

Top ten Ghanaian phrases:

1. “Obruni, how are you?” – Everyone from children to market women to professionals say this, always in the exact same tone.
2. “I’m fine”. – Never I’m good, or I’m not good or anything else, just “I’m fine”… always.
3. “Where are you going?” – Everyone and their mom wants to know this.
4. “Go and come.” – Said when you are leaving somewhere but will be returning later.
5. “You are invited.” -- People (especially strangers) say this to let you know that they want to share their food with you.
6. “Please, I’m coming”. – Used in place of the American “hold on”.
7. “It’s finished.” – When a particular item is sold out.
8. “Oh, sorry.” – Strangers and friends say this after you trip or drop something.
9. “You are welcome.” – Heard when arriving somewhere not after a “thank you”.
10. “Is that not it?” and “Is it okay?” – Professors say this to get clarification that the students understand.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite of your posts thus far :) It's truly the little things that make life extraordinary!
    ps-dude, baobab trees are the bomb. so jealous you get to see them all the time!

    ReplyDelete