Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hurry Up and Wait!

We spent last weekend in Kumasi. The drive was incredible, solid lush vegetation for hours. Kumasi is a lot like Accra: tons of people, advertising, trash, cars, tro-tros, vendors, and dust. We went to a craft village and got to see Kente cloth (look it up, it is quite amazing) being made and we me the "master weaver". I bought an old cloth that the guy selling it to me said his grandfather had made (probably not true, but I'm going to believe it anyway). We did a lot of bargaining for the first time and I am getting better at it however, sometimes it seems a bit silly since we are haggling over 70 cents usually.

My biggest frustration so far is the phenomenon we are calling "hurry up! and wait". There are days when we have to get up so early to do something and when we get there there is a lot of commotion to get things straightened out and then we end up waiting for hours. It's a definite patience test (patience my friend, patience). I still do not have a cell phone and haven't uploaded any pictures. Everything just takes longer here and things keep getting pushed back. I am trying to not let it get to me because I want to enjoy each day.

Tomorrow we are going to Kakum National Park near Cape Coast. We have the option to stay and travel for a few days after that and I think most of us are going to. We may return on Sunday or a week from today, who is to say? We're just going to see where our travels take us.

3 comments:

  1. Why do they drive yall so hard? Must be a reason. Seems pretty structured for college level. Patience is a virtue! Hrt* -Nb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy! it's so nice to hear what you are up to! haha i'm sure we will all see your pictures soon enough! got your rechargeable batteries?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy! Finally checking in with your blog -- so amazing to hear what you're experiencing.
    Otis would be jealous about all the fresh fruit -- please enjoy a mango on his behalf!
    Cheers - your cousin, Amy

    ReplyDelete