Thursday, July 30, 2009

12pm in Ghana, 5am in California

day five.

We are all so tired. Yesterday was the first time someone went to the hospital. Brendon couldn't get out of bed. At the hospital they said it is too soon to tell if he has malaria. Last night Matt knocked on our door at 3 am because Travis was throwing up and needed water, we gave him the bottle and a half we had in our room. This morning he was feeling better but didn't get up for breakfast or morning lecture. Today I felt stomach achy but I drank three bottle of water and feel much better now. So far I only have one bite. I think it is a spider bite (surely not poisonous) though because it is a bit swollen. There are mosquitoes around but not nearly as many as I thought there would be.

For the most part we are all happy and healthy but each day we are realizing more and more what the challenges are going to be of living here. However, everyday I look around and see smiling faces and meet helpful people who remind me of the reason I am here.

Tomorrow we move in to our permanent rooms (which will be great since I really don't like living out of a suitcase) and this weekend we go to Kumasi, the second largest city in Ghana. It's crazy because we feel like we have seen so much but really we still have so much to see. More adventures to come.

3 comments:

  1. It's a bit frightening how weak our (americans) constitutions have become- pasturized this and antimicrobial that. Stay postive, stay healthy, stay safe. [Use filtered water to brush your teeth?]

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely good advice. i feel like i've been really careful but apparently not careful enough. i'll try harder.

    ReplyDelete